Impressive Arsenal blank Chelsea

first_img DEFENSIVE FRAILTIES LONDON (AP): By reeling off a sixth successive English Premier League victory on Saturday, Manchester City underlined just how formidable they are under Pep Guardiola. But Jose Mourinho might finally have found the way to stop Manchester United being eclipsed by City this season – drop Wayne Rooney. Having fended off mounting criticism of his captain, Mourinho left Rooney on the bench, and the reward was a 4-1 victory over champions Leicester. It ensured City, with a 3-1 victory at Swansea, couldn’t pull further away from United, who are six points behind their neighbours. The most impressive performance of the day came from Arsenal, who marked the 20th anniversary of Arsene Wenger’s appointment by ruthlessly beating Chelsea 3-0. The day’s biggest scorers were Liverpool, who routed Hull 5-1, while Tottenham are second after winning 2-1 at Middlesbrough. Man United’s goals all came in a sparkling first-half display. Juan Mata – Rooney’s replacement in the No. 10 role – Marcus Rashford, and Paul Pogba scored in a rampant five-minute spell. United took the lead through Chris Smalling, the captain in place of Rooney. United ended a run of two straight league defeats, but Leicester have lost three of its opening six games, as many as in their 38-game title-winning campaign last season. Back from suspension and immediately back in the goals, Sergio Aguero scored twice to take his tally to 11 in six games. Raheem Sterling grabbed the other goal for City and the only blot was the sight of playmaker Kevin De Bruyne limping off late on with an apparent hamstring injury. Chelsea’s defensive frailties were exposed as Antonio Conte’s team was left with one point from three league games in September. Alexis Sanchez, Theo Walcott and Mesut Ozil provided the goals in the first half that gave the Gunners their first win over Chelsea in five years. Chelsea hadn’t even conceded a league goal to Arsenal since January 2013 before this capitulation. Results: Manchester United 4 Leicester 1; Swansea 1 Manchester City 3; Arsenal 3 Chelsea 0; Liverpool 5 Hull 1; Middlesbrough 1 Tottenham 2; Bournemouth 1 Everton 0; Sunderland 2 Crystal Palace 3; Stoke 1 West Brom 1.last_img read more

Importers to Buy Local Rice Soon

first_imgTwo major rice importers are said to be at the forefront of a partnership aimed at integrating locally-grown rice into their supply chains. The partnership is spearheaded by USAID’s Food and Enterprise Development (FED) project, along with the Ministry of Agriculture, and the rice importers – Supplying West Africa Trader (SWAT) and United Commodities, Incorporated (UCI). The partnership, when executed successfully, could be a heroic rescue for local farmers in Lofa County and elsewhere who last year took considerable loans to double their harvests from previous years, only to be stuck with many tons of harvested rice inventory and no buyers. The Daily Observer reported yesterday that over 150 farmers in Lofa County were threatened by court action for failure to repay the Village Savings Loan Association for financing acquired to expand their farms. According to FED Rice Value Manager, K. Eric Yeasu, when completed, there will be a processing center where most of the work will be done for the local farmers.“Currently, FED is assisting farmers in many parts of the country to provide both technical and material (agriculture inputs) support, especially in the areas of vegetables, cassava, animal husbandry and rice production,” says Yeasu. “At present, USAID-FED is working in six of the 15 counties on a ‘large scale’ where they will also make use of the warehouses in those counties.”The warehouses, Mr. Yeasue said, will also help the rice importers to store the product locally, adding, “Not only that, but also will ease the burden of farmers transporting their produce to Monrovia and other nearby cities.”Mr. Yeasue said that to support the rice value chain, USAID-FED has supported 50,000 beneficiaries from 2012 to present, and there are plans to increase capacity to 60,000 by the end of this year.“We provide technical way out for the farmers; teach them how to plant; how to increase their yields as well as do testing of the soil to know the type of nitrogen on the ground,” Mr. Yeasu said.With the level of work being done, he said, “we met with some rice importers in the country and two of the major importers agreed to buy rice locally once all is ready.” He said as a way of helping the farmers, FED has been providing farming implements such as diggers, motorbikes, among others, to potential farmers.“Due to the level of enthusiasm among the farmers, USAID-FED has decided to forge partnership for the importers to purchase rice from the local farmers,” Mr. Yeasue said. Meanwhile, SWAT senior manager confirmed their readiness to support the partnership and would love to see it accelerated for the betterment of the country and its people. The official said “this chain of rice will help local farmers to integrate into our distribution network. We think this is good.”An official of UCI, who did not want to be named, said they were excited about the project and would support it.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

2010 torch relay route announced

first_imgThe torch relay route for the 2010 Winter Olympics was announced on Friday.The torch’s journey will begin in Victoria, and travel to 266 communities in BC, and more than 1000 across Canada.There will be no international relay leg, only Canadian communities as far reaching as St. John’s, NFLD, and Alert, Nunavut. – Advertisement -By the end of the 106-day relay, the torch will have travelled 45,000 kilometres by land, sea and air, and come within an hour’s drive of 90 per cent of the Canadian population. And yes, the torch will visit Northern BC, including stops in Prince George, Fort Nelson, Dawson Creek, and Fort St. John.For a complete and interactive map of the relay route, visit http://www.vancouver2010.com/en/torch-relays/the-route/interactive-map/-/58040/17ckajb/index.htmlAdvertisementlast_img read more

QPR and Hull on red alert as Defoe arrives in the UK

first_imgJermain Defoe has put QPR and Hull on red alert after revealing he is back in England and has been working hard to get fully fit over the festive period.The former Tottenham striker has finished his season in the MLS with Toronto and is keen to maintain his fitness over the next few months.Both Harry Redknapp and Steve Bruce have been strongly linked with a move for the England striker who is desperate to show he can still compete at the highest level.Defoe travelled to France over the New Year period and has been working with Tiberius Darau, the fitness trainer who helped him get into England’s Euro 2012 squad, to keep alive his hopes of making a Premier League return.With Leicester also showing an interest to sign the 32-year-old, there could now be a bidding war for his signature in the next few weeks.Defoe, speaking on his Twitter site, said: “Just touched down in the UK from south of France, was training with my fitness guy feeling stronger than ever!” Former Tottenham star Jermain Defoe 1last_img read more

Klopp laughs off Warnock’s ‘mission impossible’ claim

first_img0Shares0000Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp is looking forward to meeting Cardiff counterpart Neil Warnock © AFP / Lindsey PARNABYLIVERPOOL, United Kingdom, Oct 26 – Jurgen Klopp has jokingly dismissed Cardiff manager Neil Warnock’s claim that the Bluebirds will have a “virtually impossible” task trying to beat Liverpool in the Premier League at Anfield on Saturday.The raw statistics seem to justify Warnock’s words given Liverpool are currently unbeaten and second only in the table to leaders Manchester City. They also head into this fixture on the back of a 4-0 thrashing of Red Star Belgrade at Anfield in the Champions League on Wednesday.Cardiff, by contrast, are 17th and only recorded their first league win this season with a 4-2 victory at home to Fulham last weekend.The often outspoken Warnock, asked about Cardiff’s prospects at Anfield, said Friday: “It’s massive. It’s virtually impossible for any team in the current game.”When the veteran English manager’s comments were put to Liverpool boss Klopp at his pre-match news conference on Friday, the German replied: “I am really looking forward to meeting him. I heard a lot about him, and he’s obviously vocal-wise very talented.“It will be a big pleasure to meet him — not sure during the 90 minutes, but before and after I’m sure.“It would be so cool if that’s the truth, but it’s not and they will try everything.“He is one of the most experienced managers in the world of football, and so successful in the past – it’s unbelievable.“We are aware of the quality of Cardiff. Cardiff and Neil Warnock are famous for the way he plays. Last week gave them for sure a big boost, 100 percent, but before that they were not bad.“They deserve all our respect and they will get it.”Klopp added of Warnock: “He looks like a character, a very, very emotional and lively person.“I watched a lot of the final period of the Championship last year, and it was impressive how they did it (got promoted).“From all the big English active managers, he’s the last one I have to meet. I’m looking forward to it.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

MCHUGH GETS STEP CLOSER TO WEMBLEY AT GIVEN’S EXPENSE

first_imgMcHugh celebrates his goalDonegal native Carl McHugh helped Bradford take a step closer to Wembley glory in the League Cup when his team overcame Aston Villa 3-1 in the first leg of their semi-final clash.McHugh even chipped in with the third goal in Roy of the Rovers stuff for Bradford.Another Donegal man who wasn’t smiling was Lifford man Shay Given who was in goals for Villa. The money must be on Bradford who take the 3-1 advantage into the second leg.Bradford Manager Phil Parkinson said: “We’re absolutely delighted with the way we played, obviously, because from the first minute to the last the lads were tremendous.“But equally we know we’re only halfway there, we’ve got a very difficult job in a fortnight’s time.”“Against Arsenal it was a great night for us but I think the all-round performance tonight was better,” he said. “Villa played a very attacking team and we had to defend well, and equally they left a lot of space on the pitch for us to play. “Our quality players had to stay composed on the ball and they certainly did that.”  MCHUGH GETS STEP CLOSER TO WEMBLEY AT GIVEN’S EXPENSE was last modified: January 9th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Aston VillaBradfordCarl McHughShay Givenlast_img read more

Man United on the verge of signing Stoke goalkeeper

first_imgUnited want him as cover should there be injuries to senior keepers David de Gea and Sergio Romero.Grant was the Potters’ 2016/17 Player of the Year after covering for the injured Jack Butland, but has not featured much since his team-mate’s return.He put in a man-of-the-match performance against the Red Devils in October 2016 as Stoke earned their first point at Old Trafford since 1980.He made 30 appearances that season, but played only three times in the last campaign.Grant would allow United to send Portugal U21 goalkeeper Joel Pereira out on loan to gain more experience. RANKED Grant impressed in the 2016/17 season Tony Cascarino backs Everton to sign two strikers for Carlo Ancelotti LIVING THE DREAM Top nine Premier League free transfers of the decade Where every Premier League club needs to strengthen in January LATEST REVEALED The biggest market value losers in 2019, including Bale and ex-Liverpool star Man United joined by three other clubs in race for Erling Haaland Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Ndidi bid, targets named, Ozil is ‘skiving little git’ Stoke goalkeeper Lee Grant is set for a medical at Manchester United this week ahead of his move to Old Trafford, it is understood.Stoke, who signed Grant on a permanent deal from Derby in January 2017, will allow him to leave on a free transfer, according to Sky Sports. targets 1 moving on Kevin De Bruyne ‘loves Man City and wants to keep winning’, reveals father LATEST TRANSFER NEWS targets IN DEMAND Cavani ‘agrees’ to join new club and will complete free transfer next summerlast_img read more

Deschamps issues challenge to Martial after France recall

first_img Berahino hits back at b******t Johnson criticism – ‘I was in a dark place at Stoke’ Which teams do the best on Boxing Day in the Premier League era? Where Ancelotti ranks with every Premier League boss for trophies won Son ban confirmed as Tottenham fail with appeal to overturn red card RANKED REVEALED “It’s obvious by Jose Mourinho’s choice [to start Martial] and what he’s doing on the pitch.”Martial is likely to line-up for Manchester United when they take on fierce rivals Manchester City on Sunday. 2 Martial, 22, will be looking to add to his 18 caps when Les Bleus face the Netherlands and Uruguay this month.“Anthony has been with the national team for a while now,” said Deschamps.“He’s experienced both good and bad times, which is also the case for his club.“What he’s currently achieving with Manchester United is closer to what he’s able to do regularly.“I’m talking about commitment and efficiency in front of goal.“He’s a young player and I hope he is becoming more mature. He has proved that on the pitch by how important he’s been for Manchester United for a few weeks already. BEST OF no dice MONEY ADVICE Anthony Martial celebrates his goal against Bournemouth France manager Didier Deschamps has challenged Anthony Martial to maintain his blistering form.The Manchester United winger, who missed out on a place in the victorious World Cup squad, has scored five goals in his last six games to earn a recall to the national side.center_img Every time Ally McCoist lost it on air in 2019, including funny XI reactions Most Popular In Football 2 huge blow Oxlade-Chamberlain suffers another setback as Klopp confirms serious injury Forbes list reveals how much Mayweather, Ronaldo and Messi earned this decade REVEALED shining Top nine Premier League free transfers of the decade REPLY Didier Deschamps left Martial out of the side that won the World Cup Premier League Team of the Season so far, including Liverpool and Leicester stars Ronaldo warned Lukaku how hard scoring goals in Serie A would be before Inter move last_img read more

DONEGAL-BASED MEDIA WRITER SPEAKS OF ‘BREAKTAKING’ END TO NEWS OF THE WORLD

first_imgA Donegal-based former tabloid editor has described the publication of the last edition of the News of the World today as ‘breathtaking’.Roy Greenslade is a former editor of the Daily Mirror and commentator for the British newspaper The Guardian.And writing for that newspaper, Greenslade says he believes today’s demise of the tabloid with the loss of more than 200 jobs was a “breathtaking, but entirely proportionate, response to the crisis that was engulfing the paper and Rupert Murdoch’s News Corporation.” The journalist insisted Murdoch had to do something because of the shocking revelations surrounding the hacking into telephones of innocent people, including the phone of murdered English teenager Milly Dowler.However he believes a new Sunday paper will emerge.“With Wapping staff having been told they will move to a seven day operation, does it mean the king will live on in a different guise?“Will we be getting a Sun on Sunday? (The Sunday Sun title already exists in Newcastle, and Murdoch once tried to obtain it 30 years ago). If so, will it mean a clear-out of the current News of the World editorial?” He added: “This should not draw a line under the whole scandal. To close one title and open another cannot stop the inquiries into what happened, and who did what and to whom and why.“The Screws has been screwed. Indeed, it screwed itself. But now, to continue the analogy, it’s time to nail the truth.”More than 30 journalists in the Dublin office of the newspaper lost their jobs last night.Its former Irish editor Alex Marunchak is among a dozen suspects who will be questioned by police in England about phone and computer hacking.The Irish edition of the tabloid sold more than 3,000 copies in Donegal every week. DONEGAL-BASED MEDIA WRITER SPEAKS OF ‘BREAKTAKING’ END TO NEWS OF THE WORLD was last modified: July 10th, 2011 by gregShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:closurecomputer hackingNews of the Worldphone hackinglast_img read more