Impressive Arsenal blank Chelsea

first_img DEFENSIVE FRAILTIES LONDON (AP): By reeling off a sixth successive English Premier League victory on Saturday, Manchester City underlined just how formidable they are under Pep Guardiola. But Jose Mourinho might finally have found the way to stop Manchester United being eclipsed by City this season – drop Wayne Rooney. Having fended off mounting criticism of his captain, Mourinho left Rooney on the bench, and the reward was a 4-1 victory over champions Leicester. It ensured City, with a 3-1 victory at Swansea, couldn’t pull further away from United, who are six points behind their neighbours. The most impressive performance of the day came from Arsenal, who marked the 20th anniversary of Arsene Wenger’s appointment by ruthlessly beating Chelsea 3-0. The day’s biggest scorers were Liverpool, who routed Hull 5-1, while Tottenham are second after winning 2-1 at Middlesbrough. Man United’s goals all came in a sparkling first-half display. Juan Mata – Rooney’s replacement in the No. 10 role – Marcus Rashford, and Paul Pogba scored in a rampant five-minute spell. United took the lead through Chris Smalling, the captain in place of Rooney. United ended a run of two straight league defeats, but Leicester have lost three of its opening six games, as many as in their 38-game title-winning campaign last season. Back from suspension and immediately back in the goals, Sergio Aguero scored twice to take his tally to 11 in six games. Raheem Sterling grabbed the other goal for City and the only blot was the sight of playmaker Kevin De Bruyne limping off late on with an apparent hamstring injury. Chelsea’s defensive frailties were exposed as Antonio Conte’s team was left with one point from three league games in September. Alexis Sanchez, Theo Walcott and Mesut Ozil provided the goals in the first half that gave the Gunners their first win over Chelsea in five years. Chelsea hadn’t even conceded a league goal to Arsenal since January 2013 before this capitulation. Results: Manchester United 4 Leicester 1; Swansea 1 Manchester City 3; Arsenal 3 Chelsea 0; Liverpool 5 Hull 1; Middlesbrough 1 Tottenham 2; Bournemouth 1 Everton 0; Sunderland 2 Crystal Palace 3; Stoke 1 West Brom 1.last_img read more

BRITISH GOVERNMENT RULES OUT INQUIRY INTO OMAGH BOMB ATROCITY

first_imgThe scene of devastation following the Real IRA bomb attack on OmaghRELATIVES of the Omagh bomb atrocity have been left stunned on Thursday by the revelation that there will be NO public inquiry into the 1998 Real IRA attack.The decision was announced by the North’s Secretary of State as secret emails revealed a Donegal link to the bomb plot.Theresa Villiers said she did not believe there were sufficient grounds to justify a further inquiry beyond those that have already taken place. She said: “It was not an easy decision and that all views had been carefully considered”.Her decision was contained in a letter hand delivered to members of the Omagh Support Group on Thursday which has been spearheading the campaign for a public inquiry into the murders of 29 people and two unborn children on August 15, 1998.The British Security Service, MI5, which has the lead role in national security issues in the North for the past number of years, has been opposed to a public inquiry behind the scenes.It fears the inquiry would expose its level of knowledge prior to the attack from a number of covert agents it had operating at the time inside the Real IRA. They are also concerned about revealing details of telephone conversations of the gang before and after the attack which were secretly recorded by GCHQ.One of MI5’s prized agents was American trucker Dave Rupert who was jointly run with the FBI in America.In a secret email passed to an MI5 handler known only as ‘Norman’ on April 11, 1998, Rupert warned that the Real IRA was in the final phases of putting a massive bomb together, and Omagh was the likely target for attack.And the email – one of 4,000 ‘secert’ communiques between Rupert and his MI5 handler ‘Norman’ – identified a Real IRA figure who was under round the clock surveillance.The memo reads: “Since he is so involved with the present operation we are speaking of and the last known location of the (Letterkenny,) Derry or Omagh would 2 suspect viable targets. “The general mood of the local organisation is that they are trying to make a slash so they can attract fall away members from SF and IRA before they go to 32cs (32 County Sovereignty Committee).”Two other emails were sent a fortnight before Omagh.They refer to a bomb attack in Banbridge, Co Down on August 1, 1998. It was of a similar size to the Omagh device and detonated, injuring 38 people.Two days later he sent another email saying he had spoken to those behind the Banbridge bombing. “A slow night but one thing is confirmed, the bomb on Sat was so to speak one of ours (CAC) was the words used.”A third email reported that a third individual reported to be involved in the Banbridge attack was “excited” about something due to happen.The scene in Omagh minutes before the 250lb bomb went off“It sounds like whatever was going to happen was going to happen soon, say maybe like in the next few weeks and it brought him out of a low mood he had been in,” wrote Rupert.“He was excited about the conversation.”But despite this intelligence, the North’s Secretary of State said on Thursday that she believed that the ongoing investigation by the police ombudsman was the best way to address any outstanding issues relating to the police investigation.Last month relatives of the victims of the bombing said they were prepared to go to court to force the British and Irish governments to hold a full public inquiry into the bombing.In her letter, she states: “I believe that the ongoing investigation by the Office of the Police Ombudsman for Northern Ireland is the best way to address any outstanding issues relating to the police investigation into the Omagh attack.“The fact remains that the Real IRA carried out the bombing in Omagh on 15 August 1998, murdering 29 people and injuring many more. Responsibility is theirs alone.“I sincerely hope that the ongoing police investigation will bring to justice those responsible for this brutal crime.“I have met representatives of the Omagh Support and Self Help Group, as have a number of my predecessors as Secretary of State. I have offered to meet them again to explain my decision further if they wish.”Dave Rupert is currently in a witness protection scheme somewhere in the United States.During the trial of Real IRA boss Michael McKevitt, Rupert revealed details of conversations with cheerleaders of the terror group in Donegal.He told a court how Donegal publican Joe O’Neill asked him to supply bomb-making materials to him.Rupert said O’Neill asked him to send Semtex stuffed inside Teddy bears, detonators inside radios and cordite inside ropes and post them to his sister’s school in Ballyshannon.However, Rupert said he refused to do it.BRITISH GOVERNMENT RULES OUT INQUIRY INTO OMAGH BOMB ATROCITY was last modified: September 12th, 2013 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:BRITISH GOVERNMENT RULES OUT INQUIRY INTO OMAGH BOMB ATROCITYDAVE RUPERTOMAGH BOMB ATROCITYlast_img read more