The Guyana Leaning Institute (GLI) on Sunday hosted a one-day suicide symposium at the Cheddi Jagan Research Centre (CJRC) in Kingston, Georgetown. Scores of mainly young participants attended, and at the end of proceedings received certificates for their participation in the event. The GLC Principal, Opposition Parliamentarian Ganga Persaud, called for more programmes to be implemented to tackle the scourge of suicide, as he observed that suicide is one of the leading causes of death in Guyana.Jennifer Persaud gave an overview of the various forms of suicide and their accompanying statistics. She noted the high numbers that relate to Guyana, with latest reports indicating that one person attempts suicide every 5 hours in Guyana.It was also highlighted that between 1,500 and 2,000 persons attempt suicide each year in Guyana.This country currently ranks fourth for highest suicide per capita, and has the highest rate among people in South America and the Caribbean. Persaud iterated that the male suicide rate is higher than that for female. She highlighted that suicides are frequently attempted by age groups 12-18 and 9-25.Other speakers underscored how suicide affects wide sections of the social classes.The participants also gathered in four groups and engaged in spirited discussion, and two presentations on suicide-related issues were followed by a panel discussion facilitated by Sheila Veersammy. A representative of the Caribbean Voice was also present at Sunday’s symposium. A similar exercise was held in Berbice on Sunday.
Arum, reached Friday via telephone in England, where he was hosting a news conference to announce the junior welterweight showdown between Ricky Hatton and Jose Luis Castillo on June 23 at Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas, said this is now “for the courts to decide. If the issue can’t be resolved, the courts will sort everything out.” Arum said that not only had Margarito agreed to fight another one of his fighters in Cotto, but that Margarito’s managers told him not to enter the purse bid for the Williams fight because of that. “Goossen Tutor (Promotions) can have a dozen purse bids, but they still can’t go ahead with it,” Arum said. “If Margarito’s people had told us that they were willing to go ahead with the Williams fight, we would have either tried to negotiate a deal, put a purse bid in, but what happened here was unconscionable. “This can certainly be rectified very easily by everybody saying, `Oh, look, this happened, it was unfortunate, so let’s do another purse bid.’ I mean, that would be the fair thing.” 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Arum threatened to take Margarito, his co-managers Sergio Diaz and Francisco Espinosa, and Goossen Tutor Promotions to court over the matter. Arum kept his promise and filed a lawsuit against all of the above parties this week in Nevada. Goossen, in turn, filed a countersuit Wednesday in Puerto Rico against Arum and the Puerto Rico-based WBO after the governing body said it would not sanction Margarito-Williams until court proceedings were complete. “Bob Arum is operating in a very disingenuous manner in failing to comply with the same WBO rules that he specifically requested be applied to this same WBO champion in December of last year,” Goossen said in a statement. The Top Rank-WBO agreement enabled Margarito to defend his title against a lower-ranked Joshua Clottey instead of the WBO’s No. 1 mandatory contender – Williams – provided the winner next defended the title against Williams. “The representation made by Top Rank stated that Margarito would next defend against Williams, and now Arum is attempting to circumvent this agreement and the WBO rules by disregarding the very rules he has abided by for many years as a WBO-licensed promoter,” Goossen said. No date was set, but Dan Goossen, who promotes Williams and won the purse bid to market this fight, said it would be held in either May or June in Los Angeles or Las Vegas. Bob Arum, who promotes Margarito, said that he has an exclusive contract with Margarito and his boxer had no business signing to fight Williams, or anyone else, without his permission, especially since Margarito had verbally agreed to fight Miguel Cotto for his World Boxing Association welterweight title. Let the lawsuits begin. Last week, the Daily News reported that contracts had been signed for Antonio Margarito to defend his World Boxing Organization welterweight belt against Paul “The Punisher” Williams.