PHILADELPHIA (AP) — A Christian missionary from Pennsylvania was sentenced to more than 15 years in federal prison Thursday for sexually abusing girls at a Kenyan orphanage he led. Federal authorities say 61-year-old Gregory Dow of Lancaster ran the Dow Family Children’s Home for nearly a decade before fleeing in 2017. They say some of the funding for the orphanage came from U.S. churches and faith-based groups. The FBI says Dow abused girls as young as 11. Acting U.S. Attorney Jennifer Arbittier Williams calls his crimes “nearly incomprehensible in their depravity.” Dow’s public defenders said he expressed remorse in court and apologized for his crimes.
Related Shows The story of tonight put Hamilton front and center, and it was anything but quiet uptown at the Beacon Theatre. Check out the revolutionary musical’s performance at the 2016 Tony Awards, which combined “History Has Its Eyes on You” with “Yorktown (The World Turned Upside Down).” In addition to Lin-Manuel Miranda, the number highlighted his fellow Tony nominees Christopher Jackson, Daveed Diggs, as well as Leslie Odom Jr., Phillipa Soo and Renée Elise Goldsberry. If your world has turned upside down, here’s the Hamilton performance to set things straight. View Comments from $149.00 Lin-Manuel Miranda in ‘Hamilton'(Photo: Joan Marcus) Hamilton
Jones’ brother, C.J. Jones is reporting that Judge Joseph Marx denied bond to Raja, something the family fought hard against.Last month, Judge Marx sentenced Raja to 25 years in prison after he was found guilty of attempted first degree murder and manslaughter in the shooting death of the church drummer whose vehicle broke down on the I-95 exit to PGA Boulevard in the middle of the night in 2015. He’s currently in state custody at the South Florida Reception Center in Doral. Raja will remain behind bars while a Florida appellate court decides if it will grant his motion for a new trial. A judge has denied post-trial bond for former Palm Beach Gardens police officer Nouman Raja, who was convicted of killing musician Corey Jones on Interstate 95.Raja’s attorneys had asked the judge to release him on bond and place him on house arrest while he appeals his guilty verdict and 25 year sentence.Judge has denied request by Nouman Raja to be released from prison on house arrest.@CBS12 pic.twitter.com/bKDz12Sryb— Al Pefley (@AlPefley) May 31, 2019
James Sowole in AkureFormer players of four teams being funded by the Ondo State Government wednesday disrupted training session of state’s Nigeria Professional Football League side Sunshine Stars of Akure over non payment of their sign on fees and salary arrears.The aggrieved players of Sunshine Stars, Sunshine Queens, Rising Stars and Rising Queens stormed the training pitch located within the Ondo State Sports Complex with placards of various inscriptions condemning the government and management of the teams for shirking in their responsibilities to their employees. Some of the inscriptions read:, “No more stories, give us our money, We are tired of your lies and Enough is Enough, Give Us Our Money among others”.The former players subsequently chased the players that were training out of the playing turf of the vowing to disrupt other future engagements of the Sunshine Stars Football Club.A former Sunshine Queens player, Esther Michael told newsmen that she got injured while playing for Sunshine Queens, but was abandoned to her fate.Michael added that she had been jobless after sustaining injuries five years lamenting that there was no help from the management of the Ondo State Football Agency (ODSFA).“Almost five years, that i had been injured and spent all my last kobo to treat my injury that cut shot my career i had remained jobless while some of our colleagues have died because they have no money to treat procure medication.“I played almost five years for this team, the injury, I had, government and management didn’t help me, they should pay us our money,’’she said.Also, Former Sunshine Stars Midfielder James Moses said government should be committed to the agreement it signed with the players; and pay them their sign on fees.Moses, popularly called “Okomu’’ in his playing days, said the love the former players had for the team would not allow them to take legal action against the team.He said the team gave him first premier league experience and was proud to be among the first set of players that played in the continental competition for the team.Moses called for the intervention of Governor Oluwarotimi Akeredolu to intervene in the matter so that the ex-players would be happy.“The state has been owing us our sign on fees, we have been begging for them to pay us, Sunshine was my first club, I love Sunshine so much, I want them to pay us our money that is due to us.“I have worked for the glory of this state, there are clubs that had not played on the continent, and we are the ones that did that, we are begging for our money, we don’t want to hamper the progress of the team.“We depend on this money, we have not taken any legal action, we love this club, we love the state, the state governor should help us, some of us have families to cater for, they should help us,’’he said.In his Chairman Ondo State Football Agency, Tajudeen Oluyemi said the previous government had agreed to pay the money in 15 instalments and was only able to pay eight.Akinyemi said the file for the remaining seven months had been taken to the Head of Service who had raised the issue with the governor of the state.He promised that government would accelerate action on the file to ensure that the former players were paid.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram
Prince Ali bin Al Hussein has savaged plans to hand his current role as FIFA vice-president to Asia’s football boss in a row which threatens to plunge regional soccer into a fresh round of infighting.In an open letter, the Jordanian royal “strongly opposed” the proposal backed by Asian Football Confederation (AFC) president Shaikh Salman bin Ebrahim Al Khalifa, which will be put to the vote in June.”I stand firm by my conviction that all sport… should be free from politics and completely devoid of politicos and self-interest individuals and groups that exploit the sport and all its stakeholders for their own personal gains,” Prince Ali wrote.Four of football’s six global confederations combine the role of regional president and FIFA vice-president, with the AFC and South America’s CONMEBOL the two exceptions.Bahrain’s Shaikh Salman was elected as permanent replacement for the scandal-tainted Mohamed bin Hammam last year in a move warmly welcomed by FIFA president Sepp Blatter.Shaikh Salman will now seek a change in AFC statutes to merge the Asian presidency with the FIFA vice presidency. He is expected to seek re-election as AFC boss next year. Jordan’s Prince Ali, 38, was elected as one of the eight FIFA vice-presidents to a four-year term in January 2011. He said the proposal to combine the two roles, which would take effect next year, was convincingly beaten at the AFC Congress where Shaikh Salman was elected last May.”I am truly surprised that this proposal has resurfaced in the past few months, led vigorously by the current AFC president,” the prince said in his letter released on Wednesday.”It is unfortunate that the direction taken by the AFC president and other AFC officials is one driven purely by politics instead of focusing our energies and valuable time to improving the game in Asia,” he added.No immediate comment was available from Shaikh Salman but the AFC said the proposal will be put to the vote at an extraordinary Congress in Sao Paulo on June 9, ahead of the World Cup.The AFC has had internal troubles in recent years after bin Hammam was accused of bribery during his 2011 campaign for the FIFA presidency, and later of financial wrongdoing while in office. At last year’s presidential election, Shaikh Salman shrugged off allegations of human rights violations targeting Bahraini pro-democracy supporters to record a landslide win.