WNY News Now Stock Image.NEW ALBION – A Cattaraugus County man is facing felony charges after allegedly stealing a car this week.The Cattaraugus County Sheriff’s Office says 41-year-old Steven Remington allegedly stole the car from the Town of New Albion on Sunday, and then, drove it without the owner’s permission.Remington was taken into custody on Thursday.He is charged with fourth-degree grand larceny and third-degree unauthorized use of a motor vehicle. Once processed, deputies say he was released on his own recognizance.Remington is due back in court at a later date. Share:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
View Comments About the Artist: With a desire to celebrate the magic of live theater and those who create it, and with a deep reverence for such touchstones as the work of Al Hirschfeld and the wall at Sardi’s, Squigs is happy and grateful to be among those carrying on the traditions where theater and caricature meet. He was born and raised in Oregon, lived in Los Angeles for quite a long time and now calls New York City his home. Chicago from $49.50 Hotcha! The long-running revival of Chicago recently welcomed new stars, including a country-singing foxy Roxie and a Broadway baby Velma. Broadway.com resident artist Justin “Squigs” Robertson stopped by the Tony-winning production to catch Grammy winner Jennifer Nettles and Carly Hughes as merry murderesses Roxie Hart and Velma Kelly, as well as Alexander Gemignani as Billy Flynn, NaTasha Yvette Williams as Matron Mama Morton, R. Lowe as Mary Sunshine and Raymond Bokhour as Amos. Check out his killer portrait of the tuner’s new headliners, then see them for yourself at the Ambassador Theatre! Related Shows
FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Bloomberg News:Companies competed Thursday for the opportunity to install wind turbines in Atlantic waters off Massachusetts in an auction that shattered records even as it headed toward a second day of frenzied bidding.After 24 rounds of sealed bidding, companies had already pledged $285 million toward the three offshore wind leases that are up for grabs — more than six times the previous high-water mark: Norwegian energy company Equinor ASA’s $42.47 million bid in 2016 for the rights to build an offshore wind farm near New York.High bids in the offshore wind auction, set to resume Friday, also already eclipsed the $178 million the U.S. government collected in its August sale of offshore drilling rights in the Gulf of Mexico.By Thursday evening, when Interior Department officials called an overnight halt to the auction, four companies were still vying for the territory, drawn by growing demand for renewable power in the Northeast U.S. and a chance at gaining a foothold in the nation’s growing offshore wind market.“The unprecedented interest in today’s sale demonstrates that not only has offshore wind arrived in the U.S., but it is set to soar,” said Randall Luthi, head of the National Ocean Industries Association.More: Offshore Wind Bonanza Draws Bidding War in Record-Setting Sale Bidding war emerges over rights to offshore U.S. wind
Categories: Letters to the Editor, OpinionOver 30 years ago, Rev. Al Sharpton defended a young girl named Tawana Brawley, who accused several men of rape.It was eventually proven to be false. This was the start of Rev. Al’s rise to become the nation’s civil rights champion — also $5 million net worth. Do a Google search.James KownackScotiaMore from The Daily Gazette:EDITORIAL: Find a way to get family members into nursing homesEDITORIAL: Beware of voter intimidationEDITORIAL: Thruway tax unfair to working motoristsSchenectady teens accused of Scotia auto theft, chase; Ended in Clifton Park crash, Saratoga Sheriff…EDITORIAL: Urgent: Today is the last day to complete the census
‘Trickle of departures’ On the rule of law, analysts say foreign firms will now feel safer operating in Singapore than Hong Kong.The new legislation has toppled the legal firewall that existed between Hong Kong and mainland China’s Communist Party-controlled courts and opaque legal system.”Which foreign companies will dare to bring legal cases against Chinese state-owned companies or influential private entities?” said Ben Bland, a political analyst from the Lowy Institute, an Australian think tank.Singapore has also established itself as one of the world’s leading centers for international arbitration — a process whereby parties settle disputes privately outside the court system.That said, there has been little sign as yet of a corporate exodus from Hong Kong amid renewed speculation that Singapore may benefit if businesses decide to exit the Chinese city.Hong Kong will likely “see a trickle rather than a flood of departures”, Bland said.”But this could accelerate if Beijing steps up its interventions.” Limited democracy but high living standards and stability form a trade-off that most Singaporeans seem willing to live with — and some now suggest rival Asian finance hub Hong Kong can emulate the model as China tightens control.The two trading centers have long been compared but recent events have brought the issue into sharper contrast as Hong Kong faces a new era of curtailed civil liberties following China’s imposition of a wide-ranging national security law.Supporters argue that after months of often violent pro-democracy protests the law should bring the stability needed to retain business confidence in the commerce hub. But opponents insist it will undermine sentiment if Hong Kong morphs into a clone of many mainland cities where there is less legal and regulatory transparency.Hong Kong lawyer Antony Dapiran said Chinese control was robbing the territory of the autonomy it needed to keep investor confidence intact.”Singapore is different not least because it is not subject to CCP [Chinese Communist Party] intervention,” said Dapiran, who has written books on Hong Kong’s recent protest movement.”Singapore is a sovereign state and so it behaves consistent with its sovereign interests which are very different — in both nature and scale — to China’s sovereign interests,” he told AFP. ‘Right side of markets’ The new security law — imposed in the wake of anti-China protests that convulsed Hong Kong for months last year — targets subversion, sedition, terrorism and foreign collusion.Advocates argue Singapore has prospered with equally tough legislation covering offences ranging from sedition to contempt. It is illegal to hold a demonstration without police permission in the city-state, except in the corner of one downtown park.While these stringent laws have been criticized by rights groups, they have been largely tolerated domestically and escaped global scrutiny.”Singapore has always made a point of cultivating and staying on the right side of the global markets and the Americans in particular,” Michael Barr, an expert on the country at Australia’s Flinders University, told AFP.In Hong Kong however, many people have reacted to China’s security law with anger and dismay.And there has been widespread criticism from Western nations that say Beijing is stripping away the territory’s cherished freedoms. A number of countries have suspended their extradition treaties with Hong Kong, citing concerns about the legislation.”Beijing has pushed the Americans to cut Hong Kong off from markets,” Barr said. Topics :
Phil HaighThursday 12 Dec 2019 9:12 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link318Shares Freddie Ljungberg ‘feels sorry for Arsenal’s young players’ despite Bukayo Saka’s ‘tremendous night’ Bukayo Saka rescued a point for Arsenal (Picture: Getty Images)‘Some of them made mistakes but they’ll learn from those mistakes and won’t do them again. Bukayo had a tremendous night.‘What I meant was that it was not fair to put the pressure on the young players. Experienced players need to take the lead.‘I hope that’s because the experienced players have allowed them to express themselves.’More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityIt was not a great performance from Arsenal overall, although Ljungberg was surprisingly upbeat after the point meant they finished top of their Europa League group.‘We played really well in our game-plan in the first half,’ the manager continued. ‘They didn’t have any shots on target. We should have maybe been one or two up at half-time.‘We got sucker-punched a bit, they scored two deflected goals… you can’t really slam the players for that. We could have folded but we didn’t.’Arsenal were under the impression that they needed three points to secure top spot, but Frankfurt’s surprise defeat at home to Vitoria Guimaraes meant they just needed a draw.Ljungberg claims that knowing the result in Germany is a reason his side didn’t go on to beat Standard: ‘2-2, we could have got a 3-2 but I had the information about the other score so we didn’t go too hard.’MORE: Martin Keown hails Arsenal star Gabriel Martinelli and slams ‘lucky’ Freddie LjungbergMORE: Napoli to submit £21m transfer offer for Lucas Torreira if Arsenal reject loan deal Advertisement Freddie Ljungberg feels Arsenal’s young players are being thrown in at the deep end (Picture: Getty Images)Arsenal interim manager Freddie Ljungberg ‘feels sorry’ for the club’s younger players as they are having to shoulder too much responsibility at the club.The Gunners came back from two goals behind to draw 2-2 away at Standard Liege in the Europa League on Thursday night, largely thanks to 18-year-old Bukayo Saka.The teenager brilliantly set-up the first Arsenal goal with a brilliant cross for Alexandre Lacazette to head home, then he curled in an effort himself to equalise.Ljungberg was delighted with the performance of Saka, but also feels that the youngsters are being asked to do to much and experienced players must do more to improve the club’s fortunes.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENT‘He [Saka] was amazing,’ said the Swedish boss. ‘I feel sorry for our young players. A lot of them haven’t been on loan, they’ve not had that exposure to men’s football. Comment Advertisement
The crowd at the auction of 72 Yoku Rd, Ashgrove. Photo: ANNETTE DEWWithout any further bids, the 660 sqm property sold. Nicholas Given of Ray White New Farm said there were five registered bidders but two chose not to partake in the proceedings. “At the end of the day we did have serious buyers and a serious seller and when that occurs, deals happen,” he said. Inside 111 Alexandra Rd, Ascot. Photo: Realestate.com.auMs White said she decided to bid on the home 15 minutes before she won it. “We only saw it for the first time this week,” she said. “The price is what convinced me to bid. It was a good price and I think we got a good deal.” The Clayfield resident said she had been looking for a Queenslander with tennis court for the past six months. The main bedroom at 111 Alexandra Rd, Ascot.“We had 40 groups through the home and lots of inquiries,” she said. “It’s rare to get a tennis court and it’s extraordinarily rare to get a tennis court on a separate title. “It’s also a beautiful home. It’s a bit tired but I’m sure the new owners will restore it.” In Ashgrove, a modern five-bedder also sold under the hammer on Saturday. The Queenslander at 111 Alexandra Rd, Ascot.A RARE five-bedroom Queenslander with a tennis court on a separate title has sold under the hammer in Ascot. The character home at 111 Alexandra Rd with VJ walls, high ornate ceilings and swimming pool sold for $2.4 million. Five bidders registered for the auction of the 1022 sqm property and four actively battled for the home. The home at 72 Yoku Rd, Ashgrove.The two-storey home at 72 Yoku Rd sold to a family of five for $1.55 million. The auction began with an opening bid of $1.3 million and the price steadily rose to $1.45 million thanks to three active bidders. Auctioneer Haesley Cush paused the auction at that point and, after some negotiations, restarted the bidding with the home on the market at $1.55 million. More from newsMould, age, not enough to stop 17 bidders fighting for this homeless than 1 hour agoBuyers ‘crazy’ not to take govt freebies, says 28-yr-old investorless than 1 hour agoThe home at 111 Alexandra Rd, Ascot.“This one needs some work but it has beautiful bones,” she said. And despite the separate 410sq m title being a prime development opportunity, Ms White said she planned to keep the area as a tennis court. Ray White Ascot marketing agent Vanessa Harte said the five-bedrooms, three-bathroom property with upstairs and downstairs living spaces attracted strong interest. The auction of 111 Alexandra Rd, Ascot.An opening bid of $1.5 million kicked off the action and the price increased in $100,000 increments until stalling at $2.3 million. At that point, the auctioneer paused proceedings to consult with the vendors and the highest bidder, Debby White. After some negotiations the auction was restarted with Ms White upping her bid to $2.4 million. The home was called on the market and sold. Inside 72 Yoku Rd, Ashgrove.“There was strong interest in the property from the start — it was a big house with lots of bedrooms in a great location with a football field across the road.”The successful buyers said the location was a big drawcard, especially the proximity to schools and sporting fields. “It’s also a nice, modern home with plenty of space for three boys,” they said.
The world’s first comprehensive electronic certificate service for classification and statutory certificates, which will first be available to Liberian-flagged vessels, will enter operation from June 15, classification society ClassNK said.The service, ClassNK e-Certificate, is the result of a project aimed at reducing the workload on board and at shore by minimizing potential clerical errors and time-loss associated with paper burden, according to the classification society.Based on the standards stipulated in IMO’s Guidelines for the use of electronic certificates, released in April 2016, the system enables secure transmission of certificates from ship to shore and vice versa.ClassNK added that it includes an online function “to determine the validity of certificates and that they have not been falsified or tampered with.”Trials on the system were launched in October 2016 in cooperation with the Liberian Registry and shipping companies. In April 2017, the Liberian Registry confirmed that ClassNK e-Certificate met the requirements of the IMO Guidelines, and granted ClassNK authorization as the first recognized organization to issue electronic certificates to Liberian-flagged vessels on its behalf.“With the successful completion of operational trials, and authorization from the Liberian Registry, ClassNK has become the world’s first classification society to provide a comprehensive system for electronic certificates,” Tetsuya Hayashi, Director of ClassNK’s Survey Operations Division, said.“We plan to expand the availability of this innovative service to even more vessels on our register in the near future in order to meet the growing needs of the industry,” Hayashi added.
The International Criminal Court decision to move the hearing against Lord’s Resistance Army commander, Dominic Ongwen to the Hague has been met with mixed reactions.Some say the court’s decision is justified, while others feel the hearing should have taken place in Uganda.The Hague-based court argued that political tensions surrounding February’s presidential elections could have an adverse impact on the case.
Sharing is caring! 12 Views no discussions Tweet Share Share LocalNews Minister of Youth, Culture and Sports acknowledges young people as agents of change by: – July 18, 2011 Share Minister for Youth, Sports and Culture Mrs. Justina Charles addressing the National Youth Council’s General Assembly on Saturday July 16th, 2011.The Honourable Minister of Youth, Culture and Sports, Mrs. Justina Charles at the recently concluded General Assembly of the National Youth Council encouraged the nation’s youth to be agents of change.“You as young persons are also agents of change. As agents of change you have to determine what kind of change that we want for ourselves and for our country, and that definitely will determine what happens to us or what our future will look like. Our young persons must not take this lightly because the responsibility is going to be on us to move our country forward and to ensure that our future will be brighter, because you are the ones who will be responsible to take the mantle and move this country forward. Mrs. Charles also recognized the valuable contribution which our young people are making towards the development of our island.“In spite of what is being said we must recognize that the young people are making a very valid contribution to the development of the country. You are the focal point of development in this country. Because if we do not really invest in our young persons we know that our community our country is doomed to failure. And so you must see yourself as very important in the development of any nation” she said.The Minister, on behalf of her ministry also pledged her support to the youths and assured them that they could visit her ministry to address their concerns.Dominica Vibes News