Clippers’ Kawhi Leonard to sit out vs. Jazz for ‘load management’

first_img Clippers vs. Mavericks Game 5 playoff updates from NBA beat reporters The Clippers, who rested Leonard during much of the preseason, notified the NBA of their plans in advance and are in compliance with the league, according to ESPN’s Rachel Nichols.Leonard had a game-high 30 points, seven rebounds, six assists, three blocked shots and two steals in Monday’s victory over Charlotte. Kristaps Porzingis ruled out as Clippers, Mavericks set for Game 5; Follow for game updates Leonard played in only 60 of 82 regular-season games last season before leading the Toronto Raptors to an NBA title. The Raptors were rewarded for their conservative approach with Leonard by his dominant performance in the playoffs, when he averaged 30.5 points, 9.1 rebounds and 3.9 assists while playing every game.Leonard’s maintenance plan draws more attention in part because disagreements about his health, specifically regarding a quadriceps injury, led to his departure from the Spurs. After Leonard sat out all but nine games in 2017-18, San Antonio traded Leonard and Danny Green to the Raptors for DeMar DeRozan, Jakob Poeltl and a 2019 first-round pick.Rivers said Leonard, who has averaged 27 points, 6.5 rebounds and 7.5 assists through four games with the Clippers after signing with them in free agency this summer, would have heavy input on which games he rested. The Clippers will take a similar approach with other veterans, including Leonard’s All-Star teammate Paul George, who has yet to play for the team as he recovers from offseason shoulder surgeries.Related Articles Clippers star Kawhi Leonard will sit out Wednesday night’s nationally televised game against the Utah Jazz but will play Thursday against the San Antonio Spurs, Coach Doc Rivers said.It’s the first game that Leonard will miss with the Clippers due to load management. Rivers told reporters in Salt Lake City that the franchise will determine when Leonard will rest on a “case-by-case” basis, adding that there is no set plan to always rest the two-time NBA Finals MVP on one end of a back-to-back. This is the first set of back-to-back games on the Clippers’ schedule this season.The Clippers (3-1) are officially listing Leonard as out due to “load management, knee,” satisfying the NBA’s new requirement to list a specific body part. However, Rivers said Leonard “has never felt better.”“Our goal is to have him playing and being fresh all year, and we’re doing that so far,” Rivers told reporters. “I keep saying this: He’s not the only guy we’re having those conversations with, and every team is doing it. We’re just trying to do it, I don’t know, I’m trying to say more efficiently than others. But we’re learning as we go.” Clippers hope they can play to their capabilities, quell Mavericks’ momentum center_img What the Clippers are saying the day after Luka Doncic’s game-winner tied series, 2-2 For Lakers’ LeBron James, Jacob Blake’s shooting is bigger issue than a big Game 4 victory Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error “You’ve just got to go case by case, more by information,” Rivers told reporters. “We’re trying to do it smarter. The whole key, I guess, is the input the guys give you, the honest input. Paul George, you can trust. Lou (Williams), you can trust. Kawhi, you can trust. Pat (Beverley), I don’t know. I would say not on him.”A few years ago, NBA commissioner Adam Silver was granted the power to fine teams for resting players in nationally televised games. Teams were also encouraged not to rest players on the road.last_img read more

When the Indian physio tended to Bangladesh’s Nayeem Hasan after he was hit in…

first_imgAdvertisement g51xNBA Finals | Brooklyn Vs8ikmWingsuit rodeo📽Sindre E8qy( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) xweWould you ever consider trying this?😱nvnCan your students do this? 🌚9n5Roller skating! Powered by Firework The Indian skipper Virat Kohli asked the physio of Indian Cricket Team, Nitin Patel to come inside the field to take care of Nayeem Hasan who was hit in the head by a bouncer of Mohammed Shani on the first day of the pink ball test between India and Bangladesh.Advertisement Few minutes back, Bangladesh’s wicket keeper Liton Das faced a concussion injury and the physio of Bangladesh was busy attending him. So, Virat Kohli called Nitin Patel to attend Nayeem Hasan in the field. However, Nayeem Hasan continued to play after the injury. It was a class act by the Indian skipper to call the physio of the team in the field.Advertisement Liton Das could not continue his innings and he was taken to Woodland Hospital. The recent reports are suggesting that Liton Das’ physical condition is all fine now. Mehidy Hasan came as the concussion substitute for Liton Das in this match. Bangladesh were bowled out within 106 runs in the first innings. In the reply India posted a total of 174 runs in the board with losing three important wickets of Mayank Agarwal, Cheteswar Pujara and Rohit Sharma at the end of the first day at Eden Gardens on Friday.The Man With A Golden Arm: Jaddu best Indian fielder of the decade – fielding coachAdvertisement Advertisementlast_img read more

Red-hot Ice battle Blazers

first_imgBy The Nelson Daily SportsLuke Bertolucci, who will represent B.C. at the Canada Games next month in Halifax, leads the Kootenay Ice back into action as the B.C. Major Midget Hockey League resumes play following the Christmas break.Bertolucci and the rest of the Ice play host to the Thompson Blazers Saturday and Sunday at the NDCC Arena.The Ice has been on fire of late, undefeated in four games.Leading the Ice is Nelson’s Dryden Hunt and Bertolucci. Hunt leads Kootenay in scoring with nine goals and 19 assists.Bertolucci, scoring for Team B.C. during an exhibition game during the holiday break, is right behind with 10 goals and 17 assists.Kootenay currently sits in tenth spot in the 11-team league with 5-13-6 record, but is only eight points out of six spot.The teams open the two-game set Saturday at 7:30 p.m. The series concludes Sunday beginning at 11:15 [email protected]last_img read more

Letterkenny flood threat prompts call for meeting with OPW

first_imgThe new Letterkenny-Milford council is seeking a meeting with the Office of Public Works to discover what challenges and opportunities they are focusing on for Letterkenny.The call came from Cllr Ciaran Brogan this week, who said that the new council should be updated on the work of the OPW.“This is a new council and new members. We hear a lot of talk about the flood plains and climate change. I think it’s an opportunity to meet with the OPW and see exactly what they are doing,” Cllr Brogan said. Much of Letterkenny’s retail centre is built on a flood plain. Cllr Brogan said that the members should be informed of recent works and plans to address challenges facing Letterkenny. He added that having a river so close to the town also brings huge opportunities, but raw sewage had prevented any development in the past. Now, with the Letterkenny Sewage Scheme underway, the councillor said that plans such as a walk along the Swilly could be explored again.Cllr Ian McGarvey, who seconded the motion, added that “Letterkenny is an area that is definitely under threat and there’s no reason whatsoever why we can’t meet with the OPW.” He said a meeting would help inform members to know what must be done to alleviate flooding risks in the town.Letterkenny flood threat prompts call for meeting with OPW was last modified: November 13th, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

London Olympics: Satisfied with my effort, says Mary Kom

first_imgThe atmosphere at the Excel arena was incredible as Indian icon Mary Kom and local favourite Nicola Adams slugged it out for a berth in the 51kg final in front of an appreciative audience. Match photosAt the end of four rounds, each lasting two minutes, the Briton had sealed her spot in the London Olympics final but Mary Kom walked out smiling having won millions of hearts at home and in the United Kingdom.As Mary Kom wore the bronze medal around her neck and remembered her twin sons, she became emotional. “I am sorry I could not win gold but at least I am taking back a bronze medal home,” said the 29-year-old supermom who has made millions of sacrifices for this day.Having won five world championship titles in the 48kg category and moved to the 51kg category for the Olympics, Mary Kom was at a disadvantage.But the way the diminutive Indian boxer threw in effort, though it did not translate into points on the computers, Mary Kom was superb.The Indian’s 6-11 loss to Nicola may sound bad, but Mary Kom made everyone forget it as she had a medal to show.Nicola did take control of the proceedings from the opening bell. Fast on her feet and landing punches with panache, Nicola was smart.With British prime minister David Cameroon also watching the bout, Nicola got that extra zing into play as she adopted a smart strategy of coming in and scoring points and then moving back. It was a pattern which the Indian had not bargained for.advertisementOnce into the second round, Nicola landed two thudding upper cuts while continuing to punch beautifully off the back foot. At the end of the third round the score was 8-4.Mary Kom knew she had to show aggression in the decider as there was no other go against an opponent whose footwork was slick. The sad part for Mary Kom was despite throwing all the weight she could, the points were not being scored.As the raucous audience lapped up every minute of the action, it was clear when Nicola was declared winner, there was a huge roar.However, Mary However was not disturbed as hundreds of media personnel waited for her to speak in English and then Hindi.”I have been living this Olympic dream for years and I know what it means to me and my country. All the sacrifices I have made in this life have been rewarded through this medal,” said Mary Kom.Asked about the scoring system, Mary Kom shot back: “I am scoring but they are not pressing the button and scoring!”However, Brig Muralidharan Raja, secretary of the Indian boxing federation said there was nothing to complain about. “It was a fair contest and we cannot complain about anything,” said Raja.Mary Kom’s medal means so much for women in Indian sport. It also puts her state Manipur prominently on the India map as they have faced a clutch of problems in day to day life.As the brand ambassador for women’s boxing, Mary Kom has left an indelible mark. This is the first time two Indian women have won medals in one Olympics and Mary Kom deserves all the praise and rewards for her efforts.She has spent invaluable time away from her family. “I cannot explain my feelings and emotions and I know I had millions praying for my medal,” said Mary Kom.To be sure, unlike men’s boxing, women’s boxing is not a glamorous sport at home. The total number of women boxers who compete in India is just in hundreds and not even a thousand.So for Mary Kom to come out tops with women’s boxing making its debut at the Olympics is a big deal.”We do expect that this medal will be an inspiration for women boxers in India,” said Raja.The magnitude of Mary Kom’s achievement will only be underlined when she returns to India. After all, it is her medal which has enhanced India’s medal tally to an all-time high of four in one Olympics.last_img read more

India facing problem of plenty at top before Colombo Test

first_imgIndia’s clinical performance in thrashing Sri Lanka in the first test in Galle has left captain Virat Kohli facing a problem of plenty at the top of the batting order for the second match of the series this week.The touring side, ranked number one in the world, defeated Sri Lanka by 304 runs inside four days to take a 1-0 lead in the three-match series.While Shikhar Dhawan put India in the driver’s seat on the opening day with a sparkling 190 off just 168 deliveries, it was his opening partner Abhinav Mukund’s turn to shine in the second innings with an 81.Dhawan and Mukund, however, were India’s second-choice pairing, with Murali Vijay and KL Rahul unavailable.Dhawan only came into the squad as a replacement for the injured Vijay, while Rahul was forced to miss the first test due to a viral fever.With Rahul having recovered and ready to re-claim his spot, team management are left with a difficult choice before the Colombo test which starts on Thursday.”Yes, it’s a very tricky situation,” Kohli told reporters.”(And) we’ve got a fourth guy who’s a regular opener for India who’s not fit (Vijay). We’ve got all four openers firing now.”Shikhar was supposed to go (home) to Melbourne, now he’s got a 190 in Galle. So, anything can happen in life.”India piled on 600 in their first innings and then declared their second innings closed on 240 for three. Cheteshwar Pujara and Kohli also got hundreds as the touring side dominated the match on all four days.advertisementKohli said he hoped whoever missed out would understand.”It’s a massive headache but I guess a good one. You know, eventually guys understand that only two can take the field and at most two or three openers make the squad,” the 28-year-old told reporters.”It’s going to be tough but it’s something that any day you’d like to be in this situation rather than having guys that are not scoring.”last_img read more

Mets Learn From The Best

first_imgThe young Mets team, who are preparing for the New South Wales Touch Association’s Junior Regionals in Forster later this month, train at the same venue as where the camp was being held and Australian Men’s Open coach, Tony Trad thought it would be a great opportunity to help the side out. “They were training at the same venue and given that Penrith Touch Association and Mets have always bent over backwards to help us out whenever we need fields and things like that for our camps I thought it was just a way of us giving back a little bit to those permits and affiliates that help us out,” Trad said. “They were great, they were really excited but I think our guys love it too. They really enjoy getting involved with the younger kids. It was really hot out there but the boys were showing a lot of skill and some of those young boys for their age they’ve got a fair amount of skill and class about them so our future’s looking bright.”The Men’s Open squad did some skills work with the side as well as a coaching clinic and some games, and it wasn’t just the Mets boys that enjoyed the experience. “Our squad loved it, they really like to put back, they are a great bunch of young men and they like to put back into the game, especially when dealing with young kids. So for them it was a lot of fun but it was really good, they really enjoy doing that kind of work, they relish it,” Trad said. The camp was the final selection event for the squads in the lead up to the 2012 Trans Tasman Series which starts on Thursday, 26 April in Mudgee. Trad says it was one of the ‘tougher camps’ but the players are looking forward to the upcoming series. “We did a lot of good work, we played some hard games, we had good refereeing so I really enjoyed it and we got a lot out of it. A lot of questions were answered because it’s a very short preparation so we’ve got to hit the ground running so we certainly did that on the weekend.”“It’s been a long season coming from a World Cup and we’ve just had the NTL but as soon as the boys got together, and there’s a lot of young guys in that squad as well, there was definitely a sense of excitement and anticipation. I think the young boys bring out the best in the old fella’s and the old fella’s like to make sure the young guys don’t get it all their own way and that makes a nice competitive edge to the training and builds a great atmosphere and a great culture so they are really looking forward to it,” Trad said. To keep up-to-date with all of the latest news and information in the lead up to the 2012 Trans Tasman Series, please visit the following websites:www.austouch.com.au http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?assoc=6460&pID=14last_img read more

Video: Auburn DC Will Muschamp Got A 15-Yard Penalty For Losing His Mind On An Official

first_imgAn angry Will Muschamp after penalty.Auburn defensive coordinator Will Muschamp is known for his sideline intensity. That intensity boiled over and got him in trouble just now during the Iron Bowl showdown with Alabama. After Auburn defender Jonathan Ford was penalized 15 yards for a late hit, Muschamp lost his mind on the official and was docked an additional 15 yards. Muschamp wasn’t done either. After the drive ended in an Adam Griffith field goal to give the Tide a 22-13 lead, Muschamp sought out the ref he previously blasted and gave him another earful. WATCH: Auburn DC Will Muschamp goes ballistic, has to be held back as he tells the ref: “I want a fair game.” pic.twitter.com/LE8VdhY3zj— Alex Byington (@abyingtonTD) November 28, 2015He’s clearly very unhappy.last_img read more

SP fields Mulayam from safest Mainpuri LS seat

first_imgLucknow: The Samajwadi Party on Friday released a list of six candidates for the Lok Sabha polls in Uttar Pradesh, fielding party founder Mulayam Singh Yadav from its stronghold Mainpuri. Dharmendra Yadav will contest from Badaun, Akshay Yadav from Firozabad, Kamlesh Katheria from Etawah, Bhailal Kol from Robertsganj and Shabbir Valmiki from Bahraich, the party announced. The list was signed by SP national chief general secretary Ram Gopal Yadav. The party left Mainpuri, described as its “safest” seat, from Mulayam Yadav, who is MP from Azamgarh right now. He represented Mainpuri in the Lok Sabha in 1996, 2004 and 2009. In the 2014 Lok Sabha polls, Mulayam Yadav contested from Azamgarh and Mainpuri and won both. In Mainpuri, his victory margin was a massive 3.64 lakh votes.last_img read more