Southern Command Announces Continued Humanitarian Assistance to Haiti

first_imgBy Dialogo April 26, 2010 U.S. Southern Command (SOUTHCOM) announced today a New Horizons humanitarian assistance exercise in Haiti that will provide much needed medical and engineering services to several communities outside of Port au Prince, including Gonaives, beginning 1 June through September. The New Horizons projects and medical assistance sites are at locations selected in coordination with the Government of Haiti and U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) to fit within post-earthquake requirements. Engineering projects include: renovation of a school roof; new construction at three schools; water well improvements; and a sports recreation area. Free medical care will be provided at five different sites. U.S. military medical staff will be at each site for 10 days and will provide general medical, dental and optometry care for up to 700 patients daily. Veterinary care will also be available. The New Horizon team continues the Department of Defense commitment to helping the people of Haiti and supporting USAID, which is leading the overall U.S. assistance effort in Haiti. The assistance from New Horizons is in addition to the over $1.03 billion dollars in emergency humanitarian assistance already provided to the Haitian people by the U.S. Government in the aftermath of the January 12 earthquake. New Horizons began in the mid-1980s as an annual series of joint and combined humanitarian assistance exercises that U.S. Southern Command conducts with Latin American and Caribbean nations. Typically, New Horizons exercises last several months, providing medical services and infrastructure projects, while giving deployed U.S. military forces invaluable opportunities to work with Partner Nations.last_img read more

Women step up for spots in French Catholic Church hierarchy

first_imgTopics : Yet so far Pope Francis, who backs many progressive causes such as considering allowing priests to marry, has refused calls to give women a greater role — let alone let them be ordained.Last year, he declined to move forward on letting women become deacons, which proponents say could help fill the gap in countries were priest numbers are dwindling, after several years of inconclusive debates.”This isn’t a move against the Church, but for it,” Soupa said. Seven women announced Wednesday that they would seek leadership roles in the French Catholic Church that are officially reserved for men, the latest push to give women a place in the Church hierarchy.After submitting their candidacies for posts including deacon, priest and bishop to Pope Francis’s envoy to Paris, the women attended a mass at the Madeleine church to mark the feast of Saint Mary Magdalene.Their campaign echoes a quest by Anne Soupa, a 73-year-old activist theologian, who in May declared herself a candidate to lead the archdiocese of Lyon.center_img That post has been vacant since Cardinal Philippe Barbarin stepped down last year over a pedophilia scandal involving one of his priests.”The Church is experiencing a deep crisis, and we need to open up its doors,” Soupa, who accompanied the women to Paris, told AFP.”Women are rendered invisible in the Catholic Church,” she said. “In this age of equality, when women’s abilities are recognized by all, we can’t continue like this.” Scores of pedophilia and sexual abuse charges have rocked the Church worldwide in recent years, prompting calls for wholesale change from critics who say it has failed to adapt its traditions to the demands of the modern world.last_img read more

Messi starts in Barca friendly win as La Liga kicks off

first_img New signing Francisco Trincao, Coutinho, Frenkie de Jong and 19-year-old American international Konrad de la Fuente were among those to come on for the second half. There was no place in the squad for either Luis Suarez or Arturo Vidal, who have both been told they can leave. Barcelona will not play their first La Liga game against Villarreal until round three at the end of the month, having been granted extra time off due to their involvement in last season’s Champions League. Reigning champions Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid and Sevilla are also sitting out the first weekend. But seven games are scheduled this Saturday and Sunday, the first of them finishing goalless between Eibar and Celta Vigo. Lionel Messi started and played 45 minutes in Barcelona’s first pre-season friendly on Saturday night as Ronald Koeman showed no hesitation in reintegrating the Argentinian. Barca beat third tier side Gimnastic Tarragona 3-1, with Ousmane Dembele opening the scoring on his first appearance since November. Antoine Griezmann and Philippe Coutinho, who was also returning after his loan spell at Bayern Munich, then each scored penalties, either side of Javier Bonilla pulling one back for the visitors. Yet his starting front three of Messi, Griezmann and Dembele looked suspiciously like a first-choice attack, with Dembele making his first appearance since he tore his hamstring nine months ago. Koeman also handed starts to youngsters Carles Alena and Pedri in midfield while Jordi Alba, Clement Lenglet, Gerard Pique and Sergi Roberto formed a familiar back four, ahead of Neto, who is standing in for the injured Marc-Andre ter Stegen in goal. Read Also: Leeds are going to cause problems –  Klopp, Van Dijk Still without fans due to the coronavirus pandemic, Spain’s top flight got off to a slow start at Ipurua, where Eibar finished with 10 men after Pape Diop was sent off in the 87th minute. Granada then picked up where they left off last season by defeating Athletic Bilbao 2-0 at Los Carmenes while newly-promoted Cadiz, back in La Liga for the first time in 14 years, lost 2-0 at home to Osasuna. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 But Messi’s return at the Johan Cruyff Stadium was perhaps the biggest plus for Koeman, who was taking charge of his first game since being appointed coach last month. Messi also led the team out wearing the armband after Barcelona had confirmed earlier on Saturday that he will continue as captain this season. Both club and player appear keen to put on a united front, at least for now, ahead of their return to La Liga later this month. After condemning the board last week and admitting he had been forced to stay, Messi arrived early on Monday for his return to pre-season training and worked on the squad’s days off in a bid to catch up.center_img Promoted ContentCouples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable WayWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?2020 Tattoo Trends: Here’s What You’ll See This Year9 Facts You Should Know Before Getting A TattooBest & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever Made20 Completely Unexpected Facts About ‘The Big Bang Theory’What Happens To Your Brain When You Play Too Much Video Games?7 Facts About Black Holes That Will Blow Your MindTime Playing Video Games Can Have A Detrimental Effect On YouTop 10 Most Populated Cities In The World6 Ridiculous Health Myths That Are Actually TrueWho Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth? Loading… Koeman, meanwhile, said last month he only wanted players who wanted to be at Barcelona but he was full of praise for Messi on Friday, calling him “the best”, and backed that up in his first team selection. Messi played 45 minutes as part of Koeman’s plan to field two different line-ups in each half.last_img read more